Tuesday, July 16, 2019

My 10 year working anniversary

6 July 2009. The day I reported to my first day of work.

That morning, I woke up excitedly. Applied gel on my hair. Put on my 'lucky shirt' - the same purple striped shirt I put on for the interview that got me this job (fun fact - the shirt still hangs in my wardrobe!). Asked the reception for directions to the NBR Meeting Room where I'd meet the other 16 MTs. Acquainted with our 'mothers', LK and Jenny.

Brought up to the Board Room. LK asked that we introduce ourselves. The next few seconds were silence and anticipation. Suddenly, like a thunder shattering from the sky, boomed this girl's voice, "MAYBE I'LL GO FIRST? I'M NIKKI, FROM SMU." (Yeah it's in purposely in caps because that was how she really sounded!) Turned out that this girl was the only one from SMU - what a stark difference from the other local unis! And that started the ball rolling.

Was expecting a day of sit-down briefings and orientation. It was quite the contrary. Boy, wasn't quite prepared for the intensity! Had to do on-the-spur group discussion and presentations, such as this:

Learnt that if you turn up in a tie when the others do not, you're immediately appointed the Group Leader. ;)

The orientation lasted a week. Over the next few days, we were taught to recognise the senior management's faces and their names; the different BUs of the Organization and their functions; orientated ourselves in NBR; acquainted with a list of acronyms. On the last day, we found ourselves at a team-building facility in Ulu Sembawang (which is no longer present). Lots of memories and fun there!

.
.

The entire 18 months of the MT journey was most rewarding, and most fun. Grateful for the training and opportunities given. 


----------------------------

So 10 years had passed, in a twinkling of an eye... 10 years saw me change employer once, did a few overseas work trips, made countless friends and colleagues, learnt from the best leaders and mentors, grown in my capacity as a professional as well as an engineer. I often reflect back on the many significant lessons encountered, to realise how the obstacles I faced, the difficult people I needed to work with, the disappointments that knocked me back - though they were all challenges but they were constructive forces that had positively shaped my behaviour and thinking. Today, I count my blessings that I am working for an organisation that offers comfortable remuneration and a healthy work-life balance. :)

On 12 Jul 2019, we managed to gather half the batch for a dinner at Raffles City. Here's a group photo at the iconic NBR building, where we all started... It was a great time reminiscing and laughing at our shared experiences, and heartening to know everyone's doing fine! :)



--------------------------------

If I could share my humble advice, here are my 5 tips for a fresh graduate:

1) Be a sponge. Be humble and learn from everyone. Embrace the fact that longer hours may be required for you to do your job well.

2) First impressions count very much. Speak well, be confident. Ace every presentation opportunity given.

3) Observe the successful and/or influential people at work. Why are they so good at what they do, what are the common traits? Learn to emulate.

4) Anticipate questions, anticipate what could go wrong in your work - and make plans in advance to address them. 

5) If you're comfortable in your job, you're not learning. Get out of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sticker cupboard

I found the usually restless Ye quietly sitting in front of the "sticker cupboard" one morning...