Monday, August 19, 2019

Civic-mindedness

Always behave as if someone is watching you.

I recall coming across this advice last year. It forms a very solid basis for exemplary conduct. Think about the last time you did something commendable and public-spirited and you felt good about it. Why did you feel good?

Is good behaviour demonstrated when there is someone watching?  Or is good behaviour shaped by laws and societal norms? Does good behaviour come about if there is an award to it?

I believe that true, unsolicited good behaviour is when it is led by one's conscience. Good behaviour is a result of one's values and one's integrity.

I thought I'd just like to document 2 notable moments about positive behaviour I'd observed from my mom.

1)

I was probably in pri 5, pri 6. Mom and I were grocery shopping at the NTUC outlet at Tampines Block 107. While selecting watermelons, one of them accidentally rolled off the cart and dropped onto the ground, damaging it in the process. Immediately, mom picked it up and brought it along to inform the cashier what had happened.

I asked, "Why did you not put the damaged watermelon back into the cart (and pretend nothing happened?"

Mom replied, ”做人要诚实。”


2)

Last week, Yx was complaining of tummy ache. Mom accompanied us to the clinic.

After consultation, I was occupied with paying and collecting the medicine at the counter when yx commented that she felt like vomiting. Mom led her to the road drain in front of the clinic where yx puked out her dinner.

The mess on the drain grilles was expected and my planned action was to cover it up with tissue paper, so as to alert passers-by to avoid that spot. However, my mom had a more civic-minded solution. She went back to the clinic and asked to borrow a pail from the toilet. Mom filled the pail with water, carried it over to the drain and flushed the spot clean.

___________________________


They say parents are their children's best role model, and children learn best from observing their parents. The above 2 stories were exemplary behaviour from my mom. I hope to be able to rub off civic-mindedness on my children too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What is joke?

YE: "Papa, what is 'joke'?" Me: "It's a funny thing." YE (grinning): "I am a joke." 😂 哭笑不得! ...