Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How Klimbers was formed

It was more than a year ago that we heard from a friend about his climb to Mt Kinabalu. We were eager. We asked around for interest. But nothing materialised... but I managed to find out that the best times to climb are June-August.

In February this year I asked the same group again if they were still interested. What I received were lukewarm responses... I opened up the invitation to another group of frens - cooler. Then I told myself, if I ain't gonna take the initiative to plan and organise, nobody will - and I would NEVER be scaling Mt Kinabalu, and striking off a box off my 'Things to do in my lifetime' checklist.

Therefore, I started the research... I googled for airline tickets, emailed Kinabalu Park, searched for hotels in the city, asked for quotation, worked out a budget, checked against the calendar, consolidated particulars, made overseas calls to the Park, conducted telegraphic transfer etc etc. It was kinda tedious work... but eventually it worked out and very soon we had 8 of us - Klimbers.

3 days later this time I'd be finding myself at the foot of the mountain, anxious and apprehensive. I'm kinda worried I'd be under-equipped for the climb. Have heard much feedback to ensure adequate protection against the chilly wind and the torrentious rain. I'm flying in less than 48 hours time' and I have yet to pack! *frantic* Camera! Charger! Poncho! Toiletries in <100ml! First aid bag! Waterproofing! Extra undies! Thick socks!

I'm so glad I took the initiative to make this trip happen. I did train abit over the past couple of months and I sure hope the effort will pay off and bring me all the way up to Low's Peak @ 4,101 metres.

The breathtaking view would be more than worth living the lifetime. =]



No comments:

Post a Comment

👓

And so, the inevitable... She was very looking forward to it.