Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Show your appreciation, please

When I was a commuter like everyone else I also grumbled whenever the train halts to a stop between stations. God knows when it will start moving so I just cling on to the handstraps and stable my standing posture.

When I finally learnt about the system and its operations I fully understood why trains travel slower during wet weather; why they tend to stop in between stations; why at the platform the trains doors open and close, open and close. Even why the announcements do not come up as often as you want them to.

When I was not doing bus maintenance work I used to question why breakdowns occur, why buses are noisy and dirty, why buses don't arrive on time, why the a/c is freakin blowing hot air?!

When the workshop came under my purview I stopped questioning.

In spate of the recent happenings, it is very disheartening to read about the netizens' extreme negativity and the sensationalization built onto the mishap. These comments are most unkind and un-emphathetic. However, more often than not, they are half truths and are not objective at all.

I believe Singaporeans, at the end of the day, are still understanding and cool. Some understand the need for train speeds to be lowered; some cooperate to queue and board the buses.

Thank you for your patience and understanding because we are all doing our best to resolve this incident. Unfortunately you are not able to see the blood, tears and sweat that go behind the scenes but trust me, every staff is dedicated to make seconds count. When you stare at the urgency in their eyes, and witness the commitment in the body language of the ground staff, I bet you want to stand up and do your part too.

Our lady may not give the most friendly comments; she may not be technically trained - but I have full confidence in her, that her leadership and courage will pull the company to stride through this storm unscathed. And definitely stronger.

___

Today I bought lunch for every of my staff , in recognition of and gratitude towards their hard work and effort. A handful of them came up to me and thanked me personally.

It feels great to be appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Done this, done that, yet?

It's 2.57am Tuesday and my mind is still freaking thinking about work and whether my somewhat happy-go-lucky colleague is following up c...