Monday, February 09, 2015

A day of unemployment

Today jx commented that tomorrow, both of us are considered 'unemployed'. Though that's not really true as we are contracted to start work on a later date.

I deliberately took a day off tomorrow (Monday) before starting work officially for some reasons. Primarily I planned to take a rest after the trip to KL and secondly also because I expected most people to be at their busiest on the first day of the week and wouldn't have time to orientate me around. And a few days ago I shared with my wife that I wanted to construct and formulate in my mind how I should start my first day of work. Which makes sense. Making a good first impression goes a long way.

So just to share some pointers (source: http://www.businessinsider.sg/what-to-do-your-first-day-of-work-2014-2/#.VNetDeaUd8E):

1. Prepare and ask questions. 
2. Prepare an elevator pitch. 
3. Show up early. 
4. Figure out the social landscape.
5. Relax. 
6. Smile. 
7. Look and play the part
8. Don’t be shy.
9. Don’t try too hard. 
10. Don’t turn down lunch. 
11. Listen and observe
12. Pay attention to how decisions are made. 
13. Talk to peers
14. Project high energy. 
15. Learn the professional rules. 
16. Put your cell phone on silent. 
17. Show interest
18. Pay attention to your body language. 
19. Be yourself
------------
Good luck to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

👓

And so, the inevitable... She was very looking forward to it.