Tuesday, January 16, 2018

2 weeks into school

Some progress updates on how Yx has been coping with school.


For the first week, parents and 1 caregiver were allowed to accompany the kids during class. After that, the kids were left on their own.

On the first "independent" day 8th Jan, we had expected Yx to wail a thunderstorm, so we asked nai nai to bring her to school (knowing that yx is less clingy to nai nai than to us). To our most unexpected surprise, she didn't drop a tear!!! She was in fact excited to start class and happily relating what she learnt in class at the end of the day! This was true on the second and third days, too. Yay this girl really enjoys school! My mom also feedback that only 1 or 2 other kids were sobbing, most have adapted quite well.

Alas, since Friday 12/1, Yx suddenly developed separation anxiety and would start crying while walking to the centre. She would cry, "yao4 hui2 jia1 (Want to go home)!" but Teacher said Yx would be okay once lessons started inside the play room.

I guess separation anxiety is normal... good thing is that Yx seems to enjoy the music and songs and I like that there is art & craft almost everyday (such as finger painting, fruit painting, pasting) which Yx rarely experiences at home. Kids below 3 are still doing parallel play i.e. yet to learn to socialize and play in groups, so I'm not too concerned at the moment, but it's good she is exposed to a class setup and mixing with other kids.

Yesterday, Yx was happily singing and clapping along to a song none of us have come across before:

Back: Ikea kitchen I finally laid my hands on, 2nd hand from Carousell $70

I made out the lyrics that sounded sth like "I need to wash my hands together", in the video my mom captured Yx was singing and walking in circles for at least 2 minutes! When I asked if she learnt that from school she nodded happily :) On top of this, she has also been humming a couple of songs to herself (Apple a day keeps the doctor away; Wind wind sugar baby). Okay so all in all, I think this playgroup has been beneficial for her.

I asked for some feedback from Teacher L, her replies below:


I would prefer Yx mixing with more English-literate kids, but that would mean disrupting her natural waking up time of 9am++...      >.<



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm scared to turn old.