Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Our 1992 Encyclopedia

24.3.2018 - Thanks to Carousell, we managed to pass on our set of 1992 ed. encyclopedia to someone's better use. The last few photos I took of them:

Packed into this box and never read since 2008 when we moved into current house.



This set of THE WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA (ENCY) goes a long, long way. I think my parents bought them in probably 1993, 1994? Back during our primary school days, there was no internet; the ENCY was our equivalent of today's Google - it provided all our extra curricular material from leisure to project work! 

I spent hours sitting beside the bookshelf flipping through the crisp, coloured pages. I would selectively read up on interesting topics like world map, dinosaurs, Lee Kwan Yew, Singapore, and learn about different animals. I was also intrigued why the 'Z' book could even be so thick (like how many words are there that begins with Z?). Once, we watched a play in the school assembly hall. It was put up by Act Three and the story was based in Tanzania. That was the first time I heard of the country, and I went home to read up more on it. Till today, I still very fondly recall I referencedthe ENCY1 for my Pri 5/Pri 6 research project on Charlie Chaplin. Later, in lower Secondary I photocopied a b&w A4 sized portrait of Sir Stamford Raffles for a Geography project.

Awww... byebye books... Damn, now I feel guilty not taking more decent photos of it. :(

Nonetheless, I'm happy someone else has found a better use for it :) Upon asking, we learnt that the buyer was a set designer (as in design and make sets for stage plays), how interesting! So apparently he needed the set of encyclopedia for one of his sets!

----------------------------------------------------

1: Where got mobile camera or softcopy last time? I had to lug the heavy hardcase book to my classmate Ct's/ Jarrod's home to use their photocopier! After printing in b&w, I had to be careful bringing them home, mindful not to crease the paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using LinkedIn like social media

Some people more active on LinkedIn than on Facebook.