Monday, March 10, 2014

81-year old Primary School to go down into the history books

The headlines isn't very eye-catching and true enough didn't capture my attention until I caught sight of the name of my alma mater.





































With disbelief I read that it has a rich 81-year old history! I read on and was disappointed to hear that only 20 odd places were filled up, not even enough students to complete a classroom.

However, the final straw was when I learn that Qiaonan will be merged with Griffiths to form .... Angsana Primary. Seriously?! I was like ARE YOU KIDDIN ME - ANGSANA?? It's like the worst possible name ever to name a school!! And I don't even want to start debating how its uniform will look like.

Anyway. No doubt Qiaonan was a lesser known neighbourhood school, I always felt proud to be a student because I had dedicated teachers and an enriching primary school education. Vividly recall the hike in Macritchie Reservoir during my Primary 5 school camp, tuition sessions where I went to school early twice a week to teach juniors how to read, the achievement of "I am a Young Zoologist/Physicist/whatever" badges... 

Am arranging to gather with my primary school classmates and form teacher at our dear school compound. Been many years since we met up... looking forward to relieving the childhood memories one final time! 


On our Lion City Qiaonan School stands
Reaching up to the sky and looking grand
Where-in we are nurtured
to be learned and cultured.
Ever keeping up with time
so we won't be left behind.
With one another we will share,
for each other we will care.
With the spirit that is Qiaonan
working mind and heart as one.
And with the same unity,
we will serve the country
as loyal citizens should,
For all Singaporeans good.

------------------------------

Read more about Qiaonan here (from http://mothership.sg/2014/03/bye-bye-qiaonan-bedok-west-griffiths-hong-kah-primary-schools/)

Qiaonan Primary’s history has deeper meaning
Qiaonan Primary was founded by the Wenzhou Clan Association. It was previously known as Kiau Nam School. It has more than 80 years of history, making it far older than Singapore has been independent.
In 1933, 20 pupils started classes at a rented unit in the now-defunct Lorong Koo Chye.
In 1940, the director of the school board donated his house at Paya Lebar Road to be used. It was closed during World War II, but reopened after the fighting was over.
In the late 1950s, there were 480 students with makeshift classrooms added and classes were purportedly conducted within the confines of a Chinese temple to fit more pupils.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Using LinkedIn like social media

Some people more active on LinkedIn than on Facebook.