Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Family trip to Kukup

My mom slapped my feet this morning, waking me up to accompany them to Malaysia. %#!@$#!

Our destination - Kukup!



A laid-back fishing village, or so my parents described it to me. They claimed to have travelled there 25 years ago! o_O

The drive there was a relaxed and slow one, my parents appreciating the rows of pineapple/sugar cane plantations, the many road-side stalls selling fruits and ice chendol, think it brought them many beautiful childhood memories.

Finally we reached Kukup! As soon as we opened the doors, we could smell a strong whiff of the stale sea. We settled for a seafood lunch. The restaurant was built on concrete stilts... their toilets were reminscient of my kelong trip - back to nature! HAHAHA! (i.e. u return ur input back into the sea!)

After that, we took a short walk among their houses... built on stilts! It was low-tide now.





























I couldn't imagine how their toilets were designed... I shudder to picture the scene of the toilets in Slumdog Millionaire. Eeeew. I also noticed they hang their clothes to dry just above the stale swampy areas...

This trip made me realise how advanced and clean Singapore is, we shouldn't take them for granted- the efficient services, unlimited broadband access, road sweepers and workers who clear our rubbish for us out of our sights... even though Singapore is infamous for the intense competitiveness and high-paced lifestyle, it does provide a very fantastic living environment for its residents. We shld be lucky we set deep our roots here.

On another hand, I also noticed many foreigners workers in Malaysia as well. Haha. But they seem to cope better cos those I came across were proficient in Malay, probably were from Indonesia. Definitely helps if foreign workers know how to speak the main language of the country they're working in.

Also felt a tinge of sadness at many vacant shops in a shopping centre at JB... how cruel this current economic crisis is to many honest people, old but experienced workers, and also to us soon-to-be fresh graduates...

I shall end off this post on a happy note. After topping up petrol at JB, we encountered 2 very good samaritians who honked at us to signal and notify us that our petrol cap had been left open. It was very very nice and heart warming to know that there are many good, kind hearted souls out there in this self-centred, highly competitive world. =)

1 comment:

  1. lol it's so fun to read about you going to the same place where i went to and seeing the same scenes~

    ReplyDelete

Using LinkedIn like social media

Some people more active on LinkedIn than on Facebook.