Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Eyes that see right through (and inside) you

Apart from the course on dining etiquette, we also attended one on "Leading with Actions" that was held over 2 days.

The content brought us along many realistic everyday examples at work and we were guided on how to apply the skills effectively - for example on giving feedback (positive and negative), how to influence ppl (using Cartesian logic, how interesting), how to engage your staff (one-on-ones) and coach them, and how to read someone's DISC profile in 30 secs (gesture, rate of speech and facial expressions). They were really simple tools that we all already know but are not conscious or diligent enough to apply them at work. Oh, the most interesting one that can be applied on anyone everyone had to be how to discover someone's intrinsic motivational values. Damn cool. We all did a simple exercise and I discovered I have 3 - freedom, experience and goal achievement. Am surprised with the final one actually. And out of the 3, I value freedom the most. Like a true Saggitarian haha.

Anyway, the trainer was a cool dude who boasts extended global and industrial experience. He has received training in subtle expression, advanced micro training expression etc... and he gives me strange vibes. He gives excellent eye contact and attentiveness when speaking one-to-one, but those eyes... the hard, steady vision on you... are almost Terminator/Predator scan-like. They are almost capable of reading you, your character, your hidden meanings, your secrets, your background, frighteningly quick. And accurate. You scrinch, he knows your next word is gonna be a 'no'; you look up when trying to recall something, he knows you're looking a visual memory. And you bet, he asks about your personal stuff and jots them down (what?!) - so he remembers. He is also "paid a bomb" to do counselling, coaching, to help organizations fire employees and other psychological stuff.

He talks to frontline staff and gets free hotel upgrades to suites. I am trying to describe him as a walking crystal ball. Whether you are telling the truth. Or not. What type of person you are. He works with people using their motivational values... Or perhaps he is not that intimidating - it is just a misperception because I know of his accreditations and experience?

Nonetheless, it sure is scary if the other person can read your every action or word.  Not that I have secrets I intentionally hide but it's like, you know, you don't mind telling others the colour of your undies but you don't want them staring at it, you get what I mean?

Haha on the other hand, he is like any other ordinary cool dude, he's married (to Audrey) with a kid (Evan, who is 3) (hahaha applying what I learnt!).

Now, I know I wouldn't want to date someone who is psychologically well-trained. My thoughts and opinions belong only to myself, thank you very much. Even if you read me like a book, I prefer you keep them to yourself.

P/S: He was a really effective and unique trainer and I enjoyed the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Done this, done that, yet?

It's 2.57am Tuesday and my mind is still freaking thinking about work and whether my somewhat happy-go-lucky colleague is following up c...