Monday, November 14, 2011

A Monday off

I decided to take the Monday off because I wanted to extend the weekend plus I needed to clear my leaves before the end of the year.

And it was so wonderful - your Sunday nights don't feel so blue anymore because you know you can skip work the next day! And my phone didn't ring on Monday morning so I had an undisturbed laze in bed. In fact I was already awake at 8 plus but I forced myself to sleep in haha.

Didn't have any plans for this particular off day so I chose to spend it with my parents. We went to Joo Chiat to try this Vietnamese restaurant that my mom recommended. 

It's located in a shophouse at the corner. I didn't take many pics of the set-up but I must say the restaurant has a really old-school feel... the tables and chairs, the fans. They had photographs of their food all on a huge piece of wall so you can immediately identify what you want to eat. The menu was in Vietnamese alright but I was very surprised when their staff spoke in Vietnamese-English too! By viet-english I mean, you know, english with a very heavy vietnamese accent? If I had kept my eyes on the menu I would have believed I was in Vietnam. My parents and I placed our orders by pointing at the pictures in the menu, ahha.

Shrimp roll: Tastes exactly like the one we had in Vietnam. The mint leaves, the thin popiah skin, right down to the vermicilli inside.








THEIR COFFEE COMES IN THE AUTHENTIC VIETNAMESE WAY OF BREWING!!! THE FILTER!!!


THEIR RECEIPT IS WRITTEN IN VIET!!!!!

























Their pho was brilliant too - clear and flavourful with a right tinge of sweetness. For $5 the serving came bigger than expectation, plus succulent pieces of beef. And like any Viet dish you'll find your food buried under lots of leaves and vege you can't even name but our pho was slightly localized - less vege haha. And cleaner and greener leaves! =P


I would recommend this place for its authentic feel of Viet and value for money. Definitely coming back again to watch my coffee being made, drip by drip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm scared to turn old.